LEADER OF THE OPPOSITION,
ASSAM LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY
SHRI DEBABRATA SAIKIA (JINTU)
||104 - Nazira
||Late Hiteswar Saikia,
Former MLA Nazira 1971-1996, Former Chief Minister Assam 1983-1985, 1991-1996.
||Dr. (Mrs.) Hemo Prova Saikia,
Former MLA Nazira 1996-2001, 2001-2006.
|Date of Birth
||14th December, 1964|
|Place of Birth
|Address & Contact No.
Sarumotoria, Dispur, Guwahati-781006
B/1,1241, Vasantkunj, New Delhi-110070.
|Email Id (If any)
||1(one) son & 1(one) daughter |
Graduation in Arts from Calcutta University
||Political, Social Activities and Entrepreneur
|Past Position in Party
- General Secretary, Assam Pradesh Youth Congress Committee 1992-93
- Vice President, Assam Pradesh Youth Congress 1993-96
- Convener, North East Congress Seva Dal in 1995-96
- Appointed State Convener of "Bichar Bibhag" by All India Congress Committee in 1994
- General Secretary, Self-Employed Review Committee formed by Assam Pradesh Youth Congress (1992-94)
- Member of Assam Pradesh Congress Committee since 2004
- General Secretary of Nazira Block Congress Committee, In charge of Youth Congress and NSUI from 2002 till 2010
- Member Secretary, State Level Advisory Committee for Students & Youth Welfare, Assam (2013-2016).
|Positions Held (In Social Life)
- President,Youth for Social Welfare (a leading NGO in Assam working for creating awareness on health, environment and social issues and help the needy below poverty line.
- President, PROBAAH (a NGO to help the Self Help Group, and work at the grass root level for capability building)
- President, Assam Netball Association.
- Working President, Maharana Athletic Club, Guwahati for three consecutive terms (upto 1996)
- President, Sivasagar District Tae-Kwon-Do Association.
- Charter President, Lions Club of Pragjyotishpur, Guwahati.
- Vice President, All India Centre for Urban & Rural Development Assam Pradesh Branch.
- Vice President, Assam Sewa Samity.
- Executive Member, Assam Olympic Association from 1994 to 1998 and from 2007.
- Advisor, Assam Carom Association from 1993 till 1996.
- President, Assam Archery Association from 1994 to 1996.
- On 30th January 2009, set up Swarna Jayanti Children's Park at Charaideo for children for education in through entertainment.
- With a motto to "Bring SMILE" YSW conducts "Free Plastic Surgery Camps" jointly with Interplast Germany, eV, the global humanitarian organization. More than 500 children and poor patients till date were treated for cleft lips, cleft palate, burn contractures etc since 1994 without government sponsorship. Now, the Assam Government has made "Smile Project" a major government project.
- On the occasion of Children's day in 2003, formed a "Children's Cloth Bank" for free distribution of clothes, shoes, school bags, toys and organized many such camps where school children below the poverty line and slum dwellers were benefitted. This programs are jointly conduct with Assam Seva Samity and District Youth Committees of several districts of Assam.
- A library was started by Probaah NGO in memory of Late Rajiv Gandhi for use by SHG members particularly rural womenfolk in 2007.
- For many years have been sponsoring for the whole year to inmates of Shishu Mangal Kendra at Noonmati, Guwahati, an orphanage run by Assam Seva Samity.
- Actively conducting awareness programs for various self help group for their developement and operations. More than 300 SHG's are developed in collaboration with SIRD and DRDA. Also helping the SHG promotes their products in national market.
- Awareness program on World Environment Day to preserve environment.
- Together with Help Age, India organized many Free Health Check Up camps at remote villages in Sivasagar District.
- Workshop on "Duties and Responsibilities of Present Day Youth" at Nazira which was attended by more than 700 youth congress workers and college students. Apart from this the NGO's conducts many youth related workshop at rural level for the development of the youths.
- Cleanliness drive in labour colony of many Tea Estates is carried by the members of YSW.
- Free distribution of items of necessity to people below poverty line in many minority and tea belt area.
- Health Check Up of disables and supporting them with free aids like wheel chairs, walking boots, sticks, hearing aids etc.
- Organized public meeting to develop consensus for preserving the water bodies, tanks constructed by the great Ahom rulers for the future generations in Sivasagar.
- Organised Early Cancer Detection Camps and spread its awareness for prevention among the villagers of several Districts.
- The youth congress and NSUI are doing various social activities under the guidance of Debabrata Saikia for the past several years on regular basis. Some of the works worth mentioning are Blood Donation, Sram Dan, Organising relief work during natural calamity, providing Doctors and Medicine to various villages during epidemic season, taking up cleanliness drive, Free Coaching for poor students of tea gardens for Metric (x class)exam, awareness on government schemes for village people etc.
- Free Pre Matric Coaching was organized for more than 1000 young students belonging to economically weaker families under Bharat Ratna Rajiv Gandhi Memorial Gyan Rashmi Project for one month in December 2010.
|Favorite pastime and recreation (Hobbies)
||Travelling to the country side and sharing moments with the local folk.
||"The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.|
||Work for the community to give each of them a respectful life.
Fluent in :
- English, Hindi, Assamese and Bengali.
Admired Most :
- Work for the party which can build a society which combines compassion with "competence, equity with excellence."
Belief in life:
- Mother Teresa, Late Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi. (Had the opportunity to meet and salute these great souls)
- Just work and live it for others to judge.
|Political Party Affiliation
||Indian National Congress (INC)
|Date on which elected to the 14th Assembly