MEMBER OF ASSAM LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY
SHRI PRITHIBI MAJHI
|| 117, Lahowal L.A.C.
|Father's Name :
||Late Birsingh Majhi
|| Smti. Sita Majhi
|Date of Birth
(With Birth place)
| 24-01-1951, Baughpara Tea Estate, P.O. Dibrugarh, Assam.
|| Quarter No.-16, Ministers' Colony, Capital Complex, Dispur, Guwahati-781006
|| Lekai Nagaon, P.O. Sessa, Dibrugarh-786003, Assam.
| Marital Status
| Date of Marriage
- First Marriage: 1978 to Late Anita Majhi
- 2nd Marriage: 10-12-1997
||Dr. Tarulata Kakoti Majhi, M.sc, Ph.D (Nursing)
||2 Daughters and 2 Sons
|| Cultivation and Farming
| Positions Held
- Secretary, Assam Tea Garden Tribes Students Association, (1968 to 1978)
- General Secretary, All Assam Santal Committee
- Deputy Chief Executive Councillor,
Dibrugarh Mahkuma Parishad, Dibrugarh (1979-83)
- Chief Administrator, Dibrugargh Mahkuma Parishad(1983-84)
- Member of Working Committee, INTUC(Assam Branch).
- Vice President, Assam Chah Mazdoor Sangha(Affiliated to INTUC), (1993-1996)
- Member, Working Committee, Assam Chah Mazdoor Sangha
- Adviser, Adibasi Socio-Educational and Cultural Association, Assam
- Vice Chairman, Assam Tea Employees Welfare Board(1991-1993)
- General Secretary, Assam Tea Employees Industrial Co-operative Organisation Limited(ATEICOL) Employees Union(1978-1983).
- Member, Rajya Sabha,(1984-1990).
- Member of Legislative Assembly from 119-Tingkhong Constituency for 1991-1996 term.
- Chairman, Assam State Textile Corporation(1991-1993)
- Deputy Speaker, Assam Legislative Assembly(1993-1996)
- Member of Legislative Assembly from 117-Lahowal Constituency(1996-2001).
- General Secretary, Assam Pradesh Congress Committee(I) in 1997.
- Honorary Member, All India Santal Writers Association.
- Vice President, Assam Tea & Ex-Tea Tribes, Literature Art & Cultural Parishad under Srimanta Sankardev Kala Khetra, Guwahati.
- Member of Legislative Assembly from 117-Lahowal Constituency for 2001-2006 term
- Elected Speaker of Assam Legislative Assembly, 2001.
- Chairman, NERCPA, 2002
- Chairman , North East Regional Institute of Parliamentary Studies, Training and Research(2002-2006).
- Member of Legislative Assembly from 117-Lahowal Constituency for 2006-2011 term
- Minister, Planing and Development, Labour and Employment and Tea-Tribes Welfare, Government of Assam, from 2006 to 2008.
- Minister, Water Resources, Labour and Employment and Tea-Tribes Welfare, Government of Assam, from 2008 to 2011.
| Present Post
- President, International Santhal Council from 2008.
- Permanent Invitee to Working Committee, INTUC(Assam Branch)
- Permanent Invitee to Working Committee, Assam Chah Mazdoor Sangha.
- Elected Member of Assam Legislative Assembly from 117-Lahowal Constuency on 2011.
- Elected Deputy Leader, Congress Legislative Party , Assam Legislative Assembly, in 2011.
- Minister, Revenue and Disaster Management, Labour and Employment and Tea-Tribes Welfare , Government of Assam.
||Reading, Travelling, Gardening.
|| Literary and Cultural activities, writing articles
|Favourite Past Time and recreation
||Reading and Travelling
||Composing poetry in Santal and Assamese Language, research works in santali folk culture and literature. Actively associated with the Trade Union Movement in Assam. Involved in Community Devlopment work.
|Any other information
- Published a collection of Assamese poetry tittled SHRAMIK.
- Compilation and publication of a trilingual Dictionary(santal-Assamese-English).(In the final stage)
- Publication of Speeches titled SELECTED SPEECHES OF SHRI PRITHIBI MAJHI, SPEAKER, ASSAM LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY in English.
- Publication of Speeches titled Axom Bidhan Sabha adhyaksha Shri Prithibi Majhir Nirwachit Bhasan in Assamese
||Bangkok (Thailand) and Hongkong in 1992. Geneva, Switzerland in July, 1999 to attend 17th Session of Working Group of Indigenous Population, United Nations, Geneva, Australia, Japan, South Korea and Singapore, Mauritius, South Africa, Namibia, Dubai(UAE), Canada, Italy and Germany
||Indian National Congress
|Date on which elected to
the 13th Assembly